Friday, February 28, 2020

Freeman Dyson, RIP

Freeman Dyson died today, Friday, 28 February 2020, age 96, at a hospital in his longtime home of Princeton, NJ. A thoughtful obituary by George Johnson just appeared (Friday night, 28 Feb 2020) on the New York Times website.

Dyson was a mathematical physicist who knew the greats -- Feynman, Oppenheimer, Bethe, Teller, and the rest -- and became great himself by contributing the theory of quantum electrodynamics. He was one of the final living members of the World War II generation of scientists who invented cryptography, radar, and, of course, nuclear weapons and who later wrote about and lobbied vigorously for their safe and controlled use. These scientists saw themselves also as humans, citizens, and small-d democrats who knew the essential need for public discussion of issues raised by the technology they created.

Dyson reminds me of Jacob Bronowski. Both were Englishmen, both mathematicians, and both authors of books overlapping science and the humanities. Bronowski is best known for his public television series The Ascent of Man (1973). Dyson, likewise, wrote many popular books, though in an unpopular way. He dared to bring in Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Bertold Brecht, Ingmar Bergman, T.S. Eliot, and other nonscientist people of culture.

One of those books, his 1979 memoir Disturbing the Universe, I read over a cross-country Greyhound bus trip in January 1983. What I discovered in it was not science, nor memoir, but humanity. Dyson, for example, compared Richard Feynman to Jof the Juggler in Ingmar Bergman's film, The Seventh Seal (1956). That film, central now to my understanding of life, I did yet know, but Dyson's book sent me out to see it when it finally caught up to me. Thank you, Professor Dyson. One does not expect to learn such things in a scientist's memoir! (Feynman, of course, I have long known. Like so many of my generation, I learned physics partly by perusing all three volumes of The Feynman Lectures on Physics.)

Dyson was technological optimist. Problems on earth -- be they overpopulation or climate change -- either were not as serious as claimed or could be overcome by even more technology, such as space colonies somewhere else in the universe. One would travel there by spaceships powered by nuclear explosions. It is here I lose touch with Dyson. Perhaps I lack his imagination. Certainly I lack his faith in technological solutions to problems of human nature.

Disturbing the Universe introduced me as well to Goethe's Faust, particularly this favorite line from its Part I. It is a fitting quotation to a remembrance of Freeman Dyson: "All theory is gray, / But the tree of life, my friend, is green."

posted 2020-02-28, edited 2020-02-29

2 comments:

  1. I had a feeling you might be familiar with Dyson. He's featured in the movie The Day After Trinity. I recommend the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous, for the film recommendation. Dyson also appears in the book The Curve of Binding Energy (ca. 1973) by John McPhee. I seem to remember he mentions McPhee and that book in Disturbing the Universe.

    ReplyDelete